Saturday, December 12, 2009

Cyborgdom. Wow.

We read Naam's article about technologically-enhanced humans and watched a video about how it could be considered art.

It was interesting.

I won't write much because it will basically be what I put in my essay. In all, studying cyborgs made me really appreciate the fact that I have all the limbs, brain etc. that I need (or at least I think I do). In my humble opinion, I don't think we should alter ourselves because we WANT to, and I used to be more anal toward "enhancements" given to those who were of need of it. Where I stand now is a place of more understanding, because I can barely imagine what it would be like to not have ten fingers to be typing with right now. I am very proud of the strides we have made in this area, because I don't really think there's a "normal"- we really should learn how to learn more about people who have been disadvantaged by adverse circumstances like those we read about, and be even more open to how their lives have been transformed by technology.

As for art, if we with all our appendages can be "art," i see no reason why prosthetics should not be produced in an artful way as well. In my opinion, a lot of the issues we have with one another stem simply from stifled expression. It would be a shame to create even MORE division in this world because we don't want people with prosthetic limbs and other pieces to limit their show of them. Just a thought...

No comments: